Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Going Grocery Shopping

I journeyed to Trader Joe's today and stocked up on all the essentials. This is critical because I have been subsisting on granola, peanut butter,  and oranges for the past couple of days.

And it cheered me because I found out earlier in the day that I did not get an internship I had recently interviewed for. But these things happen! The beat goes on.

The grocery store is a magical place. Walking the asiles and looking at all of the fresh vegetables and ripe fruit is awe inspiring. I love the grocery store because it offers unbounded potential. That is - if you know how to cook.

I am still working on that part. I never learned to love cooking. My aunt adores cooking. For her, making a meal is a creative act that reflects who she is. I think a good cook is just as inventive as any visual or performing artist. They dazzle a different sense, that of taste and smell.

Living on my own has taught me the value of being able to make yourself a tasty, warm meal full of protein. I've gotten pretty good at making omelets, stir fry, pasta, pizza (real treat), salmon.

Though it is smaller than a Ralphs or Pavilions, Trader Joe's still offers a staggering amount of choices.

So many cereals. Such an array of cereal choices caused me to not pick any of them. Irony. Recommended book of the week - The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less by Barry Schwartz.

No comments: